Saturday, April 30, 2011

Day 3

Today is Saturday, observed here as the Sabbath day. Church was great and the gorgeous view behind the pulpit of Jerusalem was a bit distracting. I love how during orientation one of the mothers asked if it would ever rain and if so, would we need rain jackets. Our guide laughed at her and said it would never rain and we wouldn't need to worry about that...it has rain 4 times since we arrived on Thursday night..ha ha fancy that Mr. It Won't Rain.

 The Oasis (cafeteria here at the center) serves the most delicious meals!! We have a couple here that are both doctors and they warned us the first day to weigh ourselves...many students gain weight while here (now I see why). I weighed myself the first night I got to the center to see if I gained/lost any while here. I assume that I will gain weight because at school, I rarely eat balanced meals, if I even get myself 3 meals a day. This structured, healthy food schedule is a wonderful thing! The walking tour that we took was wonderful and I'm excited to explore more on my own. We saw the old city and entered through Damascus Gate into the Islamic Quarter and it was very quiet because many were worshiping as it was Friday (their holy day). We soon crossed into the Christian quarter and explored the Church of the Holy Sepulcher, a church built over the location believed to be the place where Jesus was buried. Also, inside there are stairs leading up to where they believe Calvary (the mount where Christ was crucified) was. There is displayed a large stone slab many believe they laid Christ's body on after taking him from the cross. Many pilgrims in the church knelt by this stone and touched it, laid cloth on it to bring home as a symbol to remember Christ's suffering and their visit to the Holy Land.

 After leaving the old city through the Jewish quarter and Jaffa Gate, we explored West Jerusalem (the Jewish part of the city). After walking around the square containing the Mayor's office and seeing the hundreds of bullet holes in the side of the building, we continued on to Zion's square. The feeling in this part of the city was light and fun, many were dining at outdoor cafes, talking and laughing. A group of students (from Hebrew University I think?) were playing music and singing in Zion Square and the bottom of Ben Yehuda street. As we looked at the shops and stand along Ben Yehuda, I of course couldn't pass up the delicious gelato. So, my first purchase in the Holy Land was ice cream, doesn't surprise me =)

After the tour we went back to the center, had lunch and continued with our orientation activities. I slept through dinner last night and was really hungry this morning when we finally ate breakfast at 8 am. Tomorrow is my birthday, even though it doesn't seem like it because I already celebrated with my family. Our first day of classes is tomorrow! I'm still not sure how to end these things?? Blogging is still new to me...ha ha

With love from Israel,

Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment